Onboarding users to Aptos & Web3

One of the biggest hurdles holding Web3 adoption back is the steep learning curve faced when entering the space.

1. What are some initiatives the community can take to help accelerate adoption for retail on Aptos?
  2. What resources helped you the most when you entered the Web3 space?
  3. What are some worries that your non Web3 friends/family express in relation to the space? (by understanding what is holding people back, we can craft better solutions to onboard)
  4. Bonus question - those that have friends that refuse to go cross chain and only stay on eth, why? (What could we do here to get them interested in coming over?)

Excited to hear different perspectives here. If we can generate a few good ideas i’m happy to help some folks apply for the grant program to bring these ideas to life.

10 Likes

It seems to me that the adoption is so slow because cryptocurrencies are mostly speculative and we need more places where you can go to the cinema or eat for cryptocurrencies.

Gamechange will happen when real objects will be behind crypto assets. It seems to me that p2e is the closest to this direction now, because many games, such as Counter Strike or Dota, enough its beautiful pictures to make them crazy worth. It remains to persuade the market leaders in this area to NFTzate these items.

3 Likes

Cryptocurrency should have a value that is understandable to the common man. Large blockchains have a native token, a fee is paid in this token - it has a cost. A very simple logic tree. Added to this is a technical or legal guarantee that this blockchain will live and the funds will be saved, this will help to attract the attention of a larger audience.

1 Like

Interesting thoughts. So you view the real adoption for crypto as a payment vector? Here’s a question for you, do you think cinema tickets as NFTs or being able to pay for your ticket in crypto at the cinema will drive more adoption?

2 Likes

Of course, we have been hearing about web3 for a long time, but it still shoots candles somewhere far away. For people who are far from speculation or not fanatical about technology, an offer simply has not yet been created.

1 Like

Very true. The safety and security aspect definitely holds things back. The constant hacks and breaches are very scary to those inside & outside of crypto. I know for me personally my friends/family will hear about a hack or scam in crypto and it really scares them off. Aptos emphasizing safety and security along with a safer language in Move is a huge advantage. How can we spread that word and show those outside Web3 that Aptos is a safer alternative?

1 Like

I think only time can help here. If tomorrow Aptos suddenly kills Ethereum, and Ethereum in turn was born to kill Litecoin and other alts of those times. This means that the epochs in cryptocurrencies are changing too quickly and it is simply impossible to choose the best single blockchain for the next 20 years.

2 Likes

Do you believe in a multichain future? Or, do you think that for Aptos to succeed it will have to “kill” eth? I guess there is nothing you think we can do now than to help onboard users and simply the greatest onboarding will be time? I definitely do agree that for the average person the space moves way too quickly to use in their daily life.

1 Like

I definitely believe in a multi-chain future, but at the same time, each blockchain should have its own role, without trying to take over the championship. If we live with revolutions every 3-5 years, this will not add faith. The very essence of the idea “Today I will buy a few shares of Apple” is slipping away, so that in 100 years my great-grandchildren will not need anything.

p.s. something terrible is happening now, if ether surpasses bitcoin in terms of capitalization, this could be the beginning of the end.

I agree with your first point regarding the fact that we need each individual blockchain to have it’s own role. I believe that the cycle we are in now is a necessary one to get rid of the junk (think back to the tech bubble). In a few years we will have a solid foundation of blockchains with their own strengths as more real world use cases emerge.

Your second point is very interesting and I strongly disagreed with it at first, but I have been pondering it a bit more throughout the day and now I see your point. Although, I still do disagree that it would be the beginning of the end. I think that if ether surpassed btc it would be due to significant involvement from outside parties (wall street, huge companies, etc) and that would also include a lot of positive regulation (these companies won’t invest/use the tech until there is clearer regulation) and we would have a clearer path toward the future. I would love to hear your thoughts though how it is the end if that happens, because I don’t see that, but I think you might be coming from the retail POV that it’s too confusing with things changing?

With anything, you want your initial interaction with the space to not be intimidating or daunting.

For example, my first experience was purchasing BTC on PayPal. I was eased into the purchase because i was familiar with the platform, although i was introduced to the KYC process which was unfamiliar. PayPal’s UI made the transaction simple and was accomplishment by education.

With every dapp, website, Medium article, etc needs to ease the user into the space while facilitating experienced users to bypass the basics and go straight to their needed area or function.

You need to get the noobs in the door and make it plush, or at least familiar.

I think web3 adoption is slow because people focus on the negative news vs. the potential future it can bring. Also, instead of actually using (buidl)or testing, people are focused around how much “financial gains” they can obtain (just my subjective opinion)

1. Positive support and spread the love :slight_smile:
  2. Podcasts & Reading different white papers & googling
  3. Infrastructure & negative news (which is around security)
  4. We shouldn’t force anyone or try to convince people to come over. Eventually people will join if they believe the project and what the team is building aligns with their belief :wink:
1 Like
  1. What are some initiatives the community can take to help accelerate adoption for retail on Aptos?
  1. What resources helped you the most when you entered the Web3 space?
  2. What are some worries that your non Web3 friends/family express in relation to the space? (by understanding what is holding people back, we can craft better solutions to onboard)
  3. Bonus question - those that have friends that refuse to go cross chain and only stay on eth, why? (What could we do here to get them interested in coming over?)

1.) spread word of aptos and its benefits to blockchain tech.
2.) using blockchains
3.) they do not understand the technological benefits, so learning to present that in a way that is comprehensive to them
4.) they are blinded by bias
i enjoyed your post sir

@sotpa1 i agree sir

1 Like

Well written am in love with this

2 Likes

It is a very good idea. Helping peoples ideas come to life

1 Like

Yeah it is well written

1 Like

Indeed the idea is a welcome development . Rendering assistant increase one’s wisdom