Aptos VS Sui: Detailed Dev Comparison

Sui and Aptos are the children born from the demise of Diem; Facebook’s failed attempt at creating a blockchain. They both inherited Diem’s opensource codebase, and were formed by former Facebook engineers; Avery Ching for Aptos, and Sam Blackshear for Sui. They both raised (or plan to raise) hundreds of millions of dollars to build their own decentralized futures.

Currently Aptos is further along in development; likely launching mainnet in October 2022, whereas Sui is a bit further behind; likely launching mainnet in January 2023.

In this series of articles I’ll be comparing these two L1 blockchains.

Overall thoughts:
Aptos is very similar to, and a significant improvement upon, existing blockchains like Solana; Solana will evolve to be more like Aptos in the near future. Sui is a bit of a wildcard though; they’re trying to be very innovative and different, but it’s unclear if these changes will workout. Despite their similar origins, Aptos and Sui are almost like complete opposites of each other.

About Me:
Hi I’m Paul Fidika! I’m developing on Sui right now. If you’re interested in working together on open-source stuff, I’d love to hear from you. Get in touch: Discord Email Telegram

Table of Contents:
Part 1: The Move Programming Language
Part 2: Consensus
Part 3: Empirical Testing

Part 1: The Move Programming Language
Aptos sticks to traditional Move (as it was built for Diem), whereas Sui modifies Move considerably. In fact, Sui has changed Move so much I don’t think it’s fair to call them the same language anymore. It’s not possible to simply copy-paste code between the two; porting code requires a complete rewrite.

To illustrate the differences, let’s create a simple module. This module (1) defines a kitty resource, (2) defines a function to create kitties, and (3) defines a function rename kitties.

Aptos:

5 Likes

Aptos gave huge profit but sui user also get good profit

1 Like

@ayelin what a nice project :+1::smile::smile:

aptos is best

1 Like